Sachem High School North Library
Certified School Librarians: Ms. Haussner and Ms. Berthold
Native American Heritage Month 2021
Our mission is to create a welcoming learner-centered environment that fosters inquiry, critical thinking and love of reading for students, teachers and community members.
North Library is a unique and essential part of the learning community, preparing learners for career, college and life. As school librarians, we create dynamic learning environments where our staff and students can thrive:
- We help students navigate information, teaching them how to evaluate authority and accuracy is an essential part of citizenship and provide opportunities for learners to use digital tools and networks ethically, responsibly and creatively.
- We teach students to seek and understand, and learn from diverse perspectives, while providing resources in print and digital formats and support literacy across media formats, as reading is the core of personal and academic success.
- We teach information and literacy skills, research learning adventures, and integrate current technology to build communities and enhance learning.
- With a focus on inquiry-based learning, we collaborate with teachers to engage students in their own learning.
- We maintain an up-to-date collection of resource materials in print and digital formats, including learning how to navigate the Virtual Reference Collection (VRC), with over 54 different credible, reliable and valid databases for inquiry across all subject areas.
- At North Library, students engage with information, connect and collaborate authentically with each other and the world, solve real problems and build new knowledge.
North Library Makerspace is a place for creativity, making, connecting, sharing and tinkering. Students and staff have opportunities to relax through coloring or take it to the next level and learn how to design and print in 3D.
We partner with Sachem Public Library to bring greater opportunities for our students and staff, thereby expanding our community. Sachem Public Library Community Services staff visit North Library periodically throughout the year to provide library cards, technology opportunities, and develop connections for students and staff.